Manuel D. Carcao received his medical training from the University of Toronto, Canada, graduating in 1990. In 2007 he received a Masters of Science degree in Clinical Epidemiology at the same institution. He is currently a staff paediatric haematologist/oncologist in the Division of Haematology/Oncology and an Associate Professor in the Dept of Paediatrics at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. He is also Co-Director of the Comprehensive Care Paediatric Haemophilia Clinic and an Associate Scientist/Clinician Investigator in the hospital’s research institute.
Dr. Carcao’s research interests are in the study of congenital bleeding disorders (haemophilia, VWD and rare inherited coagulation and platelet disorders) and in particular the study of inter-patient disease variability with respect to inhibitor development, prophylaxis needs and pharmacokinetics. Dr. Carcao also has a substantial clinical and research interests in childhood immune thrombocytopenia and hereditary spherocytosis.
Dr. Carcao was President of the Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada from 2006 to 2008 and currently is the Chair of its Inhibitor Subcommittee. He was on the Board of Directors of the Haemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society of North America (2010-13). He is secretary of the Canadian Paediatric Thrombosis and Haemostasis Network and is an active member of the International Prophylaxis Study Group (IPSG) serving in various capacities. He is on the editorial board of several well known journals. He has been an invited lecturer on many occasions, and is the author or co-author of numerous peer-reviewed papers and textbook chapters.
1. Carcao M. Changing paradigm of prophylaxis with longer acting factor concentrates. Haemophilia 2014; 20 (Suppl. 4):99-105. (C/T)
2. Gouw SC, van den Berg HM, Fischer K, Auerswald G, Carcao M, Chalmers E, Chambost H, Kurnik K, Liesner R, Petrini P, Platokouki H, Altisent C, Oldenburg J, Nolan B, Pérez Garrido R, Mancuso ME, Rafowicz A, Williams M, Clausen N, Middelburg RA, Ljung R, van der Bom JG. Intensity of factor VIII treatment and inhibitor development in children with severe hemophilia A: the RODIN study. Blood 2013. May 16; 121(20):4046-55. (R)
3. Carcao M, Van den Berg HM, Ljung R, Mancuso ME. Correlation between Phenotype and Genotype in a large unselected cohort of children with severe Haemophilia A. Blood. 2013 May 9; 121(19):3946-52 (R)
4. Feldman BM, Berger K, Bohn R, Carcao MD, Fischer K, Gringeri A, Hoots K, Mantovani L, Willan A, Schramm W. Hemophilia Prophylaxis: How can we justify the costs? Hemophilia 2012; Sept; 18(5):680-684. (C)
5. Carcao MD. Side Effects and Venous Access Issues with Immune tolerance therapy. Haemophilia 2009; 15(2):494-500. (C)