I started as a clinical trialist (1995-2010), and quickly moved on to be a meta-analyst (1997 to date). I joined the Cochrane Collaboration (Individual Patient Meta-analysis Method Group 1999; Prognosis Method Group 2003; and Cystic Fibrosis and Genetic Disorders group, for which I am associate editor since 2005). I led the Italian Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis Guideline Program from 2004 to 2010, and the NHF guideline program in 2014-15. I set up-up and ran the National Italian Hemophilia and Bleeding Disorders Registry and redesigned the Canadian Bleeding Disorder Registry. I lead two international groups performing IPD meta-analyses on the predictive value of D-dimer (ISTH) and determinants of inhibitor development in hemophilia (EAHAD). In 2010, I joined the Health Information Research Unit, McMaster University, and the GRADE working group, where I lead the working group on Prognosis. Since 2014, I am the Chairman of the Data and Demographics Committee of the World Federation of Hemophilia. Since July 2015, I am the Director of the Health Information Research Unit. In 2015, I was called to serve on the Guideline Oversight Committee of the American Society of Hematology.
1. Alfonso Iorio, Frederick A Spencer, Maicon Falavigna, Carolina Alba, Eddie Lang, Bernard Burnand, Tom McGinn, Jill Hayden, Katrina Williams, Beverly Shea, Robert Wolff, Ton Kujpers, Pablo Perel, Per Olav Vandvik, Paul Glasziou, Holger Schunemann, Gordon Guyatt. Use of GRADE for assessment of evidence about prognosis: rating confidence in estimates of event rates in broad categories of patients. BMJ 2015;350:h870. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h870. No abstract available. PMID: 25775931.
2. Athale A, Giguere A, Barbara A, Krassova S, Iorio A. Developing a two-sided intervention to facilitate shared decision-making in haemophilia: decision boxes for clinicians and patient decision aids for patients. Haemophilia. 2014 Nov;20(6):800-6. doi: 10.1111/hae.12495. Epub 2014 Oct 2. PubMed PMID: 25273544
3. Marcucci M, Smith CT, Douketis JD, Tosetto A, Baglin T, Cushman M, Eichinger S, Palareti G, Poli D, Tait RC, Iorio A. Patient-level compared with study-level meta-analyses demonstrate consistency of D-dimer as predictor of venous thromboembolic recurrences. J Clin Epidemiol. 2013 Apr;66(4) : 415-25. Doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2012.08.007. Epub 2013 Feb 8. PubMed PMID: 23395515.
4. Iorio A, Puccetti P, Makris M. Clotting factor concentrate switching and inhibitor development in hemophilia A. Blood. 2012 Jul 26;120(4):720-7. Epub 2012 Jun 12. PubMed PMID: 22692511.
5. Don-Wauchope AC, Sievenpiper JL, Hill SA, Iorio A. Applicability of the AGREE II Instrument in Evaluating the Development Process and Quality of Current National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry Guidelines. Clin Chem. 2012 Oct;58(10):1426-37. Epub 2012 Aug 9. PubMed PMID: 22879395.