Dr. Savita Rangarajan is an internationally known clinician in the field of haemophilia, haemostasis & thrombosis. She holds the position of director of the Southern Haemophilia Network.
Her main area of interest is management of complex patients with inhibitors, and the delivery of cost effective models of care for all patients with bleeding and thrombotic disorders.
Dr. Rangarajan led in the twinning of the Haemophilia Centre in Basingstoke and the Khartoum Haemophilia Clinic in Sudan, to help develop care for patients with bleeding disorders. Dr Rangarajan is keen to mirror the model of care within the NHS in other countries and is exploring this option in Mumbai.
She has many peer-reviewed publications and is actively involved in many clinical trials in the field of haemophilia and haemostasis. She is a principal investigator for many clinical trials in haemostasis and thrombosis.
Dr. Rangarajan is fluent in four languages, has a deep interest in Hindu philosophy and is an avid reader of ancient texts. She also plays Carnatic classical music on the veena, a stringed instrument. She is a keen gardener and cook.
1. Rangarajan S, Kessler C, Aledort L. The clinical implications of ADAMTS13function: the perspectives of haemostaseologists. Thromb Res. 2013 Oct;132(4):403-7. doi:10.1016/j.thromres.2013.07.027. Epub 2013 Aug 13. PubMedPMID: 24050828.
2. Collins P W, Chalmers E, Hart D, Jennings I, Liesner R, Rangarajan S, Talks K, Williams M, R M Hay C. Diagnosis and management of acquired coagulation inhibitors: a guideline from UKHCDO. Br J Haematol. 2013 Sep;162(6):758-73. doi:10.1111/bjh.12463. Epub 2013 Jul 25. PubMed PMID: 23889317.
3. Rangarajan S, Aledort L. Will gene therapy trump factor treatment in hemophilia? Expert Rev Hematol. 2013 Feb;6(1):43-8. doi: 10.1586/ehm.12.70. Review. PubMed PMID: 23373779.
4. Collins PW, Chalmers E, Hart DP, Liesner R, Rangarajan S, Talks K, Williams M, Hay CR; UK Haemophilia Centre Doctors. Diagnosis and treatment of factor VIII and IX inhibitors in congenital haemophilia: (4th edition). UK Haemophilia Centre Doctors Organization. Br J Haematol. 2013 Jan;160(2):153-70. doi:10.1111/bjh.12091. Epub 2012 Nov 15. PubMed PMID: 23157203.
5. Rangarajan S, Austin S, Goddard NJ, Négrier C, Rodriguez-Merchan EC, Stephensen D, Yee TT. Consensus recommendations for the use of FEIBA(®) in haemophilia A patients with inhibitors undergoing elective orthopaedic and non-orthopaedic surgery. Haemophilia. 2013 Mar;19(2):294-303. doi: 10.1111/hae.12028. Epub 2012 Sep 19. Review. PubMed PMID: 22989234.